I plan on finishing my Christmas shopping this weekend. Perhaps you plan to do the same. Perhaps you even happen to have an artsy person on your gift list. If yes and yes, allow me to make a few suggestions...
1. For the kiddos, might I suggest an art set. I went through several of these as a kid and loved every one. All the supplies easily stay neat and organized, the thing travels really well, and honestly it's just cool. I remember feeling like a total badass with my art set, like I was armed with real, professional art supplies, even though I was only eight. To really get that WOW factor, spring for an art set in a wooden case versus the plastic. That art set will make any kid feel like Picasso.
2. For the artist of any age, go for a sketchbook. There's something grand about having all those clean white pages just waiting to be transformed. Nobody who likes to draw, paint, sculpt or even just doodle is going to NOT like a sketchbook.
3. And now for a shameless self-promotion... artist note cards! Great for thank you notes, letters to Santa, or adding a card to a gift. You can purchase a set of 8 note cards for $12 right here off my website!
4. This is a kneaded eraser. It'll cost you about a buck, and it's a great little dude to drop in a stocking. You know how when you erase something those little bits of eraser come off and then you have to brush them away with your hand or blow them off the page? This eraser doesn't do that! It absorbs the graphite leaving no mess behind. Plus, you can knead it into any shape you want, which is especially handy when you have some rather tricky erasing to do.
5. The mother of all gifts- an art desk, a desk specifically designed with the artist in mind with features like an attached light, tilting surface, small storage drawers for things like paint tubes and charcoal sticks, and side trays that can hold brushes and pencils either upright or flat. My parents gave me one of these for Christmas six or seven years ago and it ended up changing my life. Having a dedicated place to create your artwork makes all the difference!
6. For the artist with a little one or, perhaps, the artist with a little one on the way- hey, that's me. Robert pay close attention- this super cute bib and burp cloth set is sure to please.
So there you have it, my top picks for gift giving in the art department. Personally, I think they're all great gifts, but if you reaaaaaaaaaaally want me to narrow it down, I'd say buy the note cards :)